Commuter morning mindfulness training

Who hasn't been an unwitting listener to a fellow passenger's phone conversation? I am quite a prude when overhearing private phone conversations or seeing someone behave inappropriately (e.g. talking on the phone in a quiet zone department). I really don't feel comfortable, and often I am annoyed.

There is a quote from Phyllis Bottome that goes...

"There are two ways of meeting difficulties: you alter the difficulties, or you alter yourself meeting them."

Since it is impossible to make passengers talking loudly on phones disappear, I devised a mindfulness exercise to use in those situations. Here it goes:

  1. Acknowledge how the person is annoying me. 
  2. Figure out more clearly what it is I am feeling. Is it anger because this is a quiet zone, embarrassment because the information being conveyed is too personal, or righteousness because I judge the person as being stupid?
  3. Tap into my sense of humour and imagine three Goldilocks scenarios (wrong, okay, and good) that would allow me to alter how I meet this problem.
Here is a recent example of how it works.

Situation: mid-morning commute to Hamburg from Lübeck. A 30-ish male passenger makes 20 calls (I kid you not). It seems he is a salesperson for office materials and trying (unsuccessfully) to finish his daily quota while travelling on the train.

My three Goldilocks scenarios:

  • I hope the guy's boss is in the train compartment and realizes what a lousy salesman this idiot is (wrong)
  • I hope the guy's boss sends him on a sales training workshop where he learns what polite conduct is (okay)
  • I pretend his mother is a friend of mine, and I know how proud she is of his industriousness (good)
By this point in the exercise, I usually stop being annoyed and can see the situation's absurdity. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My impressions of DB 1st class travel

Scaring off the passengers

Catching up on the news